East Beaumaris Kindergarten values children as unique individuals and capable contributors to their own learning. We aim to make a positive difference in the lives of the children through the creation of meaningful and stimulating experiences in our play-based learning programs.
We view our kindergarten as an extension of the family, and as such look at the whole child and their needs, in particular their social and emotional wellbeing.
- All children are unique and are capable contributors to their own learning.
- Children need a balance between active and quiet play.
- Outdoor play is essential for children’s development. All children should have opportunities to test their limits and take risks in a safe and protected environment.
- East Beaumaris Kindergarten is committed to providing a child-safe environment where children not only feel safe but are safe. Staff ensure that the children’s voices are heard regarding decisions that affect their lives. Particular attention will be paid to the cultural safety of Aboriginal children and children from culturally and/or linguistically diverse backgrounds, as well as the safety of children with disabilities.
- A quality, play-based program leads to children becoming confident learners.
- A quality program is purposefully planned and based on the individual needs and interests of each child and the group.
- A quality program incorporates intentional/planned teaching to fully support children’s learning and development.
- Children learn and develop through their experiences with their family, extended family and their community.
- All families are unique and have their own culture and heritage. We value the richness that this diversity brings to the program.
- We believe that lifelong learning is important for all.
- Educators are supported to access a wide range of professional learning incorporating current research.
- We are proud to acknowledge the People of the Kulin Nation as traditional owners of the land and waters. We do so through our symbol of the tree which is significant to the traditional owners.
- We respect and care for our environment, both living and non-living.
- We believe in the importance of healthy lifestyles including eating healthy food and active play.
We have created a flexible play-based curriculum for the children in which children they are offered the opportunity to engage in experiences that reflect their varying developmental stages. We allow for open-ended activities where the children are free to explore at their own personal level, where they can think and express themselves freely and where they can focus on the “process” of what they are doing rather than on the “end product”.
Our role as educators is to guide, evoke and extend children’s interests. We continually evaluate children’s play to discover what it is children are learning and to then help shape and extend this learning. This involves adding materials (child initiated or adult intentional), using questions to expand the play, interacting, participating, consolidating, observing and monitoring the play.
Both our 3 and 4 year old programs embrace the Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework play-based curriculum. This identifies five outcomes for all children from birth to eight years.
- IDENTITY – Children have a strong sense of identity
- COMMUNITY – Children are connected to and contribute to their world
- WELLBEING – Children have a strong sense of wellbeing
- LEARNING – Children are confident and involved learners
- COMMUNICATION – Children are effective communicators
We use these principles to design our programs that include experiences and opportunities which enrich the children’s development and assess the children’s progress towards these outcomes.
Respectful Engagement with Indigenous Perspectives
The Early Years Learning Framework, Principle 4 notes: Respect for Diversity, includes promoting greater understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander ways of knowing and being (DET., 2019, p.14). For East Beaumaris Kindergarten this means that we celebrate the benefits of diversity and seek to understand and honour these differences. We engage respectfully with multi-cultural perspectives, and in the first instance with Indigenous perspectives.
Exceeding Rating - National Quality Standard
East Beaumaris Kindergarten has been rated 'Exceeding' under the The National Quality Standard (NQS) set out by the Australian Children's Education & Care Quality Authority. The NQS set a high national benchmark for early childhood education services in Australia and include 7 quality areas that are important outcomes for children.
Services are assessed and rated by their regulatory authority against the NQS, and given a rating for each of the 7 quality areas and an overall rating based on these results.
Our dedicated and passionate Educators continually strive for excellence and the entire East Beaumaris Kindergarten community are tremendously proud of our Exceeding rating.
Our Kinder Environment
We are located in a wonderful setting that includes spacious areas both inside and out. Our indoor space has two large rooms; one main classroom and one multi-purpose room that doubles as the foyer for meal times and for drop off and collection times.
We place great emphasis on the benefits of outdoor play and are proud of our spacious playground that offers a fun, varied and challenging environment. The outdoor environment provides many unique opportunities to develop and extend children’s learning and skills through:
• Providing opportunities for children to explore and develop relationships with the natural environment.
• Gaining a sense of freedom and self exploration.
• Learning the skills to self-managed risk (climbing, balancing etc.).
As well as providing for the development of physical skills children also need soft, quiet places for reflection and dramatic play in order to create their own worlds without the fear of being run down by a football match.
Our outdoor space includes:
• Vegetable patch
• Large digging patch
• Open grassed area
• Sand pit
• Designated climbing area and separate swings
• Mud kitchen
• Large cubby house
• Natural wooden teepee
Committed to Child Safety
All children who come to East Beaumaris Kindergarten have a right to feel and be safe. The welfare of the children in our care will always be our first priority and we have a zero-tolerance approach to child abuse. We aim to provide a child-safe and child-friendly environment where children feel safe and have fun.
There are a number of benefits to mindfulness that are particularly relevant to our children during their kindergarten years. We know that social and emotional competence are great predictors of school success, and it is just as important to be present in the here and now. Art-based activities and guided meditation are a great way to introduce mindfulness to children.
Some of the many benefits of mindfulness are:
• Improved concentration
• Improved emotional regulation
• Improved empathy and compassion
• Strengthened self-control
• Lowered anxiety and stress
• Increased positive mood
• Better decision making
• Increased self-esteem
• Improved social skills and communication
Mindfulness activities are particularly valued as part of our 4 year-old program to assist children with longer days at kinder in preparation for primary school.
Two Day Program for 4 Year Olds
In recognition of community needs; we are committed to providing relaxing and stimulating activities during the two full day program for our 4 year olds. The later part of our days has an intentional mindfulness focus. We also take part in community walks, cooking/baking and science experiments.